Welcome Guest (Register -  Login)  Active Topics Active Topics Display List of Forum Members Memberlist Search The Forum Search Help Help
 Navigation
 Skin Chooser

Choose Skin:

There are 3 skins total.
The newest skin is BeOS

Latest Forum Posts

Total Users Online: 42

We have 0 member(s), 42 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Most Online: 617
Occured: Saturday, 6 Apr, 2024

Members Online:

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

You are visitor number 6151409

We have 70697 registered users and we have had 3 member(s) visit us in the last 24 hours and 143 new member(s) signed up in the last month.

The newest registered user is janicemf16.

Our users have posted a total of 3890 articles within 785 topics in 13 forums.
Last post by king mob

Advice
 Glastonbury Forum : Advice
Subject Topic: Glasto virgin Post ReplyPost New Topic
 Glasto virgin
<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
House of Wine
Posted: 13-April-2008 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote House of Wine

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Group: Festival Virgin
Hello fellow festival goers
I've never been to any type of festival before but bought a ticket for Glastonbury as afew of my friends are going and I didn't want to be left out! And then ofcourse I've heard Glastonbury is brilliant and I'd like to try it atleast once in my life.
I'm very excited about going!! But there are afew things that I think I'll struggle with.
(Please, if any of my questions are completely twat'ish, don't laugh at me).

1. I LOVE being clean. I wash daily and keep my hair nice and clean also. Do they have showers a Glastonbury? I think I'll be OK with the no shower side of things, but I'm going to find it really difficult working with dirty hair! I'm going to bring afew hats and scarfs with me for when my hair does get too dirty to manage.

2. I've heard the toilets are f**king disgusting!! True? I think I might just take some laxatives with me so when I do need a #2 I won't really care where I go, just aslong as I do go somewhere. Obviously I'd rather go in a toilet though. If someone could just give me some general toilet information it'd be appreciated. :)

3. What day would you say is best to get there? I know we can get there from Wednesday. Are all the best camping spots taken on Wednesday? What time would you suggest getting there?

4. Do you guys spend a fair bit of time in and/or around your tents? I know you have to wander around to the stages and markets etc. but I LOVE camping so I'm hoping my friends and I will spend afew hours a day just chillin' round our camping spot. I know I should ask my friends but none of them have been before either so I just would like to know what others get upto while there.

5. Can we take in our own alcohol? I know we're not allowed to bring in glass bottles, or anything glass - but would I be allowed to fill up afew plastic bottles with some alcohol of my choice? Is it very expensive to buy at Glastonbury?

6. Anyone taking substances? I'm sorry if we can't discuss this on the forum. Personally I'm not, but acouple of people who I know are going and they want to take some Cola and Mandy in with them, but I've heard some people get searched when entering the site. Anyone else here take drugs in with them? What are you taking and how do you plan on sneaking it in? I know it sounds like I'm planning on bringing loads in but I'm honestly just curious.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edited by House of Wine on 13-April-2008 at 8:23pm

Online Status: Offline
View House of Wine's Profile Search for other posts by House of Wine Back to Top

loveondole
Posted: 14-April-2008 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote loveondole
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Those questions are a bit direct, aren't they? I'm not having a dig at you but i'll answer them anyway apart from the fourth one, do what ya want when you are there lol

The hygiene thing, don't bother going to festival if you're like that... the showers are unhygienic anyway. The toilets are foul at every festival. Wednesday is definitely the best day to go, last year i saw people having to camp next to the 'dreaded toilets' you are referring to. You can take in your own alcohol. The drugs thing, you take in substances at your own risk and expense if you get caught, get them inside the festival and let some other fool take them in.

Iain x

View loveondole's Profile Search for other posts by loveondole Back to Top

House of Wine
Posted: 14-April-2008 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote House of Wine

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

they are direct, yes. i apologise.
ill be fine with the hygiene thing. ill have to be. im just gonna take loads of baby wipes and leave in shampoo. hey! it might be good for me to be filthy for afew days. i havent done it before so maybe it's about time.
we'll probably go down there wednesday. do you know how much it costs to park there for the duration of the time? one of my friends is driving i think but some of us will have to get the train which'll be a bitch.
do they have sniffer dogs to mooch out the drug smugglers?! i dont think id trust buying drugs off people there - you dont know what your buying and if it is crap then the dealer will be long gone in the crowd.

View House of Wine's Profile Search for other posts by House of Wine Back to Top

loveondole
Posted: 14-April-2008 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote loveondole
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

hahaha look are you going to admit you do drugs? I love how you are tip-toeing around it.... probably 50% of this forum if not more does drugs.

They don't have sniffer dogs, no. They do random searches.

The stuff i got last year was good, you just have to take the good with the bad... you get a sh*t deal and you've lost a bit of money unless you're wanting coke or MDMA.
I definitely wouldn't take drugs in but that's just me.

As for parking prices, i wouldn't have a clue... sorry.

Iain x

View loveondole's Profile Search for other posts by loveondole Back to Top

muddyslingbax
Posted: 15-April-2008 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote muddyslingbax

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Your excitement is great and i can't wait either.
Take whatever you want; there are always lessons learnt in the  amount of stuff you take and have to carry / worry about / lose /get nicked.

Don't ruin things by getting busted on the door.  Like the man says, get it all in there coz it WILL BE ALL IN THERE. 

Just take plenty of cash and take care of it.  I'll look after it for you if you like?
You'll see me...I'll be the one staggering around having lost my money, friends, baby wipes and mind.  Hehe! Only kidding.  It'll be fab, you just see!

View muddyslingbax's Profile Search for other posts by muddyslingbax Back to Top

Dave F
Posted: 15-April-2008 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Dave F

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

House of Wine wrote:
Hello fellow festival goers
I've never been to any type of festival before but bought a ticket for Glastonbury as afew of my friends are going and I didn't want to be left out! And then ofcourse I've heard Glastonbury is brilliant and I'd like to try it atleast once in my life.
I'm very excited about going!! But there are afew things that I think I'll struggle with.
(Please, if any of my questions are completely twat'ish, don't laugh at me).

1. I LOVE being clean. I wash daily and keep my hair nice and clean also. Do they have showers a Glastonbury? I think I'll be OK with the no shower side of things, but I'm going to find it really difficult working with dirty hair! I'm going to bring afew hats and scarfs with me for when my hair does get too dirty to manage.

2. I've heard the toilets are f**king disgusting!! True? I think I might just take some laxatives with me so when I do need a #2 I won't really care where I go, just aslong as I do go somewhere. Obviously I'd rather go in a toilet though. If someone could just give me some general toilet information it'd be appreciated. :)

3. What day would you say is best to get there? I know we can get there from Wednesday. Are all the best camping spots taken on Wednesday? What time would you suggest getting there?

4. Do you guys spend a fair bit of time in and/or around your tents? I know you have to wander around to the stages and markets etc. but I LOVE camping so I'm hoping my friends and I will spend afew hours a day just chillin' round our camping spot. I know I should ask my friends but none of them have been before either so I just would like to know what others get upto while there.

5. Can we take in our own alcohol? I know we're not allowed to bring in glass bottles, or anything glass - but would I be allowed to fill up afew plastic bottles with some alcohol of my choice? Is it very expensive to buy at Glastonbury?

6. Anyone taking substances? I'm sorry if we can't discuss this on the forum. Personally I'm not, but acouple of people who I know are going and they want to take some Cola and Mandy in with them, but I've heard some people get searched when entering the site. Anyone else here take drugs in with them? What are you taking and how do you plan on sneaking it in? I know it sounds like I'm planning on bringing loads in but I'm honestly just curious.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

View Dave F's Profile Search for other posts by Dave F Back to Top

Dave F
Posted: 15-April-2008 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Dave F

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Hi

I've been to Glastonbury around 15 times now. I think your questions are fine, by the way.

1) Being clean. There are showers but not many of them. They're usually near the Green Field. If you really want to shower daily you'll need to get up early and queue. Often they run cold. One year they were mixed sexes with no dividing wall. Not sure if your a bloke or a woman. A lot of people do a partial stand up wash / hair wash at the many field-taps - cold water in an open field. Staying clean is do-able, but hard work. I understand some make do with 'dry shampoo' - as a bloke with short cropped hair I don't really bother myself.

2) Yes the toilets are disgusting. The smell of faeces in a small warm plastic port-a-loo shouldn't be underestimated. Very high gag factor. The 'long drops' (cubicles that don't flush, just have a toilet seat and a 10 foot drop below it) have much more fresh air and are acceptably private. Always take your own toilet paper (we wrap around 2 ft around a hand, then carry it in a pocket), as you really wouldn't want to go without. Toilets are usueable, but you'll probably retch a bit the first few times you use them. The laxative idea, by the way, is not a god one - the change of food / cold air may make you need to 'go' more urgently anyway. At best, laxatives will dehydrate you. At worst - well, it takes a long time to walk to a toilet from the middle of a crowd!

3) Wednesday's the best day to go - it gets crowded after that.

4) We tend to leave the tent around 8am (sun makes it too hot after that - we hope!), come back for a couple of hours midday-ish, then go out again mid-afternoon. When it rains a lot, that varies. I think most people stay around their tents in the evening - it's hard to generalize.

5) Yes we can take our own alcohol, but not in glass containers because the cows get the fields back after the festival is over. Alcohol prices in the festival are very reasonable, but not as cheap as taking your own. Main limitation to taking your own is the weight - you park outside the arena and should expect to walk and carry your stuff in for at least 20 - 30 minutes or more, so bottles of booze soon start to feel heavy.

6) I'm personally not into drugs at all, but won't preach - each to his own. Definitely don't try to smuggle drugs in - people do get caught and as well as missing the entire festival you'd get a criminal record. Not worth it IMHO.

Have fun

View Dave F's Profile Search for other posts by Dave F Back to Top

sunny devon
Posted: 15-April-2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote sunny devon
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

I'm too a Glasto virgin.

Last festival i went to was Reading back in 98, One of the things i remember was trying to get to sleep about 3am and all you could hear was people shouting out B*****s at the top of their voices. Very funny at the time, 

Does this kinda thing happen at Glastonbury aswell ?? lots of other random words were being shouted but i can only remember B*****s

Happy days

View sunny devon's Profile Search for other posts by sunny devon Back to Top

king mob
Posted: 16-April-2008 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote king mob

Forum Steward
Forum Steward

Group: Forum Steward
The cries of bollocks are few & far between at recent Glastonbury's, though they're still common at Reading & some of the smaller festivals.

View king mob's Profile Search for other posts by king mob Visit king mob's Homepage Back to Top

pseudo
Posted: 21-April-2008 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote pseudo

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

on the drugs taking in note,
i personally would recomend you not to buy it there,
1 - you normally always get ripped off
2 - you dont know whats in it

this is going to be 8th time since i was 9 now but last 3 years i have taken with my a bit of weed and before last year i had never been searched.
last year tho i did get searched and stupid me had it right at the top of my bag,
had around a Q aswell, but anyway they simply took it off me and then just let me go straight in ( the annoying thing was i went to the wrong gate and was meant to get in the trhough the back through a special wrist band and didnt even need to get searched but thats another story reall)
so if all you were interested in taking is weed then i would recomend bringing it with you becasue even though i got caught my 4 other friends didnt so theere was enought to share, just dont put it at the top of your bag lke i did :p

but i was wonderingg..
as i have to stick to more of a budget this year, i know they dnt allow glass bottles but what about bringing a crate or something like that as it would be loads cheaper?

View pseudo's Profile Search for other posts by pseudo Back to Top

1 User(s) are browsing this topic, 1 Guest(s) and 0 Member(s)
0 Members:
<< Prev Topic Advice Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version