Welcome Guest (Register -  Login)  Active Topics Active Topics Display List of Forum Members Memberlist Search The Forum Search Help Help
 Navigation
 Skin Chooser

Choose Skin:

There are 3 skins total.
The newest skin is BeOS

Latest Forum Posts

Total Users Online: 125

We have 0 member(s), 125 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Most Online: 617
Occured: Saturday, 6 Apr, 2024

Members Online:

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

You are visitor number 6300503

We have 70740 registered users and we have had 6 member(s) visit us in the last 24 hours and 134 new member(s) signed up in the last month.

The newest registered user is bridgethe3.

Our users have posted a total of 3890 articles within 785 topics in 13 forums.
Last post by king mob

News
 Glastonbury Forum : News
Subject Topic: Where’s your guitar, Jay-Z? Post ReplyPost New Topic
 Where’s your guitar, Jay-Z?
<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Causy
Posted: 18-June-2008 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Causy
Forum Steward
Forum Steward

Group: Forum Steward
When Amina Taylor heard the hip-hop star was heading this year's Glastonbury festival, she thought she'd go for the first time. But if he's not welcome, is she?

Wednesday April 16, 2008
The Guardian

The rumblings about American hip-hop star Jay-Z's headline turn at this year's Glastonbury festival just got louder. Slow ticket sales have been blamed on Hova's appearance at the traditionally indie-heavy event; now Noel Gallagher has told the BBC Jay-Z is "wrong" for Glastonbury: "I'm sorry, but Jay-Z? No chance. Glastonbury has a tradition of guitar music."

Festival organisers Emily and Michael Eavis must have expected to raise a few hackles, although perhaps not to this degree. Glastonbury is, after all, the mothership of music festivals, the Grand Poohba of outdoor events; its lineup never goes unremarked. But what seems to have come as a shock to them is what Emily Eavis has described as "an interesting undercurrent" to some of the blogs and public statements objecting to Jay-Z's booking. "I'm not sure what to call it," she says, "at least not in public, but this is something that causes me some disquiet."

If Eavis is reluctant to give it a name, I am in little doubt that there is a new form of musical censorship from the audience at play here, one which flirts with class snobbery and racism. On hearing the news that Jay-Z would be headlining the event, Glastonbury regulars probably turned to their fellow indie lovers and asked who on earth was this Jay-Zed character, anyway.

It's disappointing, because music fans - and festivalgoers in particular - usually go out of their way to try to outdo one another in the obscure music-taste stakes. Variety is what makes Glastonbury so special. When you allow different kinds of music to co-exist, you get a Radiohead fan turning up for one thing and being seduced by a Fatboy Slim set.

What does the brains behind a great band like Oasis really mean when he says Glastonbury is for "guitar music"? Is Gallagher dismissing all the non-guitar acts that have lit up the Glastonbury stage over the years - the Prodigy in 1995, Orbital in 1994 - or is he trying to tell us something else? Sling yer hook, Jay-Z: this event is not for you.

As a black woman, I have always looked at the sheer whiteness of an event like Glastonbury and wondered what the attraction was. Sure, I enjoy a few bars of Coldplay, but would I risk a mudslide to see Chris Martin and co? I think not. I was almost tempted to go last year when the amazing Marley brothers were added to the bill, but this year is the closest I have ever come to picking up my tent and following the middle-class herd. Finally, Glastonbury is planning to showcase music I know the words to. This summer, I could be shouting the lyrics to Dirt Off Your Shoulder and 99 Problems as the sun started to set, with my brolly in one hand and a beer in the other.

Now, I won't even bother. One glance at the NME's website tells me all I need to know about just how inclusive Glastonbury still isn't.

Alexchil writes: "Glastonbury is contaminated. This is a rock/pop festival." And while there are are some level-headed fans willing to give Jay-Z a chance, the overwhelming majority of bloggers would agree with MAD_FER_IT, who writes, "without doubt the worst possible news. They needed a huge band to headline, not some hip-hop wank." Quite.

Jay-Z's abilities as a performer are extraordinary. This is an artist who can create a complete song without a pen or pad in sight. He can get any party started, and ultimately, isn't that what Glastonbury-goers want? But if hip-hop, the music that has been the soundtrack for my life, is not welcome, then I don't feel welcome either.

There has never been any public outcry about black, non-guitar acts performing at Glastonbury (Dizzee Rascal, Al Green, Jimmy Cliff), just so long as they stay at the bottom of the bill. Know thy place. Move up to headline status and things suddenly take a different turn. Do well, but not too well; that will most definitely be held against you.

I would have understood the protest if Michael Eavis had booked a below-par rapper for a prime slot. Believe me, I would no more want to sleep in a tent to hear Chamillionaire perform than you - but Jay-Z is a legend. This year's festival is lucky to have him, and if a few narrow-minded individuals purporting to be Glastonbury fans disagree, speak with me after Jay-Z leaves the stage. I promise you'll be converted. If you're still not convinced, I'm sure Coldplay will be back next time around.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury2008/story/0,,2273855,00.html

Online Status: Offline
View Causy's Profile Search for other posts by Causy Back to Top

Causy
Posted: 18-June-2008 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote Causy
Forum Steward
Forum Steward

OK, so not new news, not even news, an editorial really, but I thought it was interesting to read.

No mention of the Jazz World stage, but I suspect it would be seen as some kind of musical performance ghetto by her, where non-indie/dance music can perform all they want, as long as they don't play the 'main' stages.

View Causy's Profile Search for other posts by Causy Back to Top

alldubbedup
Posted: 19-June-2008 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote alldubbedup

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Group: Festival Virgin
This whole Jay-Z sh*t is a load of bollocks. It's like when 50 cent got loads of sh*t for playing Reading and Leeds festival.

I've only been to Glastonbury once and that was last year but to me it seemed liek one of the most diverse places I've been too musically, mainly because its the biggest festival I've been to.

So what if Jay-Z is playing, there are plenty of other bands(if you can only listen to "real music" played by guitars) or other acts if your not so f**king stuck up, just dont go and see him, but stop monaing about it.

View alldubbedup's Profile Search for other posts by alldubbedup Back to Top

Durkin
Posted: 19-June-2008 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Durkin
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

accept at the end of the set everyone was cheering, and i predict that the exact same thing will happen with Jay-z. If noone wants to watch him don't go, there is plenty of other stuff at glasto to keep you amused for 2hrs! 

View Durkin's Profile Search for other posts by Durkin Back to Top

toby1975
Posted: 19-June-2008 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote toby1975
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

I have a sneaky feeling Jay-Z will be the highlight of the weekend and you just wait for Chris Martin to appear for a rendition of Beach Chair!! You heard it here first people........mine's a cider x

View toby1975's Profile Search for other posts by toby1975 Back to Top

fumps
Posted: 03-July-2008 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote fumps
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

What gets me really confused is that the Jazz world stage & well most other stages in the past have had lots of black people & music.

I really get annoyed when people lable people as racist when they dont agree with something or someone who happens to be any other colour than white.

Why does colour get brought into this? Can someone work out what makes a person racist anymore because i have heard the term thrown around so many times i'm lost.

I love hip hop, my first ever gig was Public Enemy, i've been a follower of hip hop my whole life, i'm white, i love pretty much all music.......but i dont like anything by Jay-Z......tbh i thought it was a bad choice because i dont like HIS music not black music in general........so is it actually possible to not like JAY-Z but not be racist?????

or is it up to a black person to decide?

the whole thing is stoopid IMO. but then again i hope Evis does it again because it made it so much easier to get a ticket.

View fumps's Profile Search for other posts by fumps Back to Top

king mob
Posted: 03-July-2008 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote king mob

Forum Steward
Forum Steward

It becomes racist when rather than criticising Jay Z's music, one criticises Jay Z because 'he doesn't belong on the Pyramid' or they spout the classic line 'hip hop doesn't belong at Glastonbury'.

There's reasons why a successful black man does scare people & that's the fear of The Other, which is exactly what Noel Gallagher foolishly voiced & so many people jumped onto.

It was depressing to see much of the pre-Glastonbury coverage focus on how small minded & bigoted some people are, but it did make people actually think about what spills out their mouth for a change.

View king mob's Profile Search for other posts by king mob Visit king mob's Homepage Back to Top

fumps
Posted: 04-July-2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote fumps
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

I dont find it depressing or supprising. Its how it is & always will be.

The world is a big place, plenty of room for everyone. same as Glasto, lots of stages, plenty of things to see & do. I still dont get the why so much of a fuss was made of all this.

I suppose one thing matters, did all who went have a good time? i did. i had probably the best weekend of my life. i nearly cried when i was driving away.

And thats all that matters now.

king mob
Posted: 04-July-2008 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote king mob

Forum Steward
Forum Steward

fumps wrote:

I dont find it depressing or supprising. Its how it is & always will be.

Bollocks. If one doesn't make a stand against lazy racists then it will remain the same.

fumps wrote:
The world is a big place, plenty of room for everyone. same as Glasto, lots of stages, plenty of things to see & do. I still dont get the why so much of a fuss was made of all this.

Because it was against everything Glastonbury is supposed to stand for.

View king mob's Profile Search for other posts by king mob Visit king mob's Homepage Back to Top

fumps
Posted: 04-July-2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote fumps
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

have it your way fella.

may see ya next year. may not

1 User(s) are browsing this topic, 1 Guest(s) and 0 Member(s)
0 Members:
<< Prev Topic News Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version