Welcome Guest (Register -  Login)  Active Topics Active Topics Display List of Forum Members Memberlist Search The Forum Search Help Help
 Navigation
 Skin Chooser

Choose Skin:

There are 3 skins total.
The newest skin is BeOS

Latest Forum Posts

Total Users Online: 118

We have 0 member(s), 118 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Most Online: 617
Occured: Saturday, 6 Apr, 2024

Members Online:

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

You are visitor number 6273181

We have 70734 registered users and we have had 6 member(s) visit us in the last 24 hours and 132 new member(s) signed up in the last month.

The newest registered user is Anthonyagins.

Our users have posted a total of 3890 articles within 785 topics in 13 forums.
Last post by king mob

Advice
 Glastonbury Forum : Advice
Subject Topic: Travel Times... Post ReplyPost New Topic
 Travel Times...
<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
HiFreq
Posted: 25-May-2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote HiFreq

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Group: Festival Virgin
Finally managed to track our ticket, as they still haven't arrived and have heard nothing. It appears that the coach from Middlesbrough will be leaving at 12 noon on Wednesday and leaving the site at, wait for it, 4:30 a.m. on the Monday.

Great. So we'll be arriving late Wednesday night and we'll have to pack up the tents at some point on Sunday, before it gets dark. Then we'll have to sit about until 4:30 a.m., having lugged the gear about with us. Either that, or pack the tents away in the dark, after the headline act.

Sorry to whine, but this is bloody ridiculous. Went with National Express last time and we arrived at tea-time on Wednesday and had a choice of about three return coaches.

Been going to Glastonbury since the mid 80's, but I think this will be my last year.  It's beginning to turn into one major hassle after another.  I'll save the money and go to Amsterdam, instead; it'll be a hell of a lot easier.

Sory to be negative, but this is a real pain in the arse.

Online Status: Offline
View HiFreq's Profile Search for other posts by HiFreq Back to Top

king mob
Posted: 27-May-2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote king mob

Forum Steward
Forum Steward

Group: Forum Steward

The timing is part of the licensing requirement, the problem is that it was not advertised at time of purchase so people bought tickets with no idea of when they'd leave.

View king mob's Profile Search for other posts by king mob Visit king mob's Homepage Back to Top

chads
Posted: 28-May-2007 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote chads

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

couldnt agree more we are going weds morn at 8, which with 2 young children to farm out is a nightmare. have been pratically every year since 1982, wont be coming again? shame. only option re changing coach times was to cancel???

View chads's Profile Search for other posts by chads Back to Top

HiFreq
Posted: 28-May-2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote HiFreq

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Well, licensing agreement or not, we're really pi55ed off about this. Of course, we're glad to be going at all; over the moon, in fact, but this idea of leaving at 4:30 a.m. just acts as the final straw.

I know it must be a ridiculous amount of work to organise and the festival is great, but come on? After last time getting flooded in 4 feet of water and losing most of our stuff, due to, in my own opinion, NOT the weather, but inadequate drainage in a field that was surely known to be a flooding hazard; they got it drained afterwards; why not make adequate preparation beforehand?  (and the stories of us lot being "rescued" and given alternative accommodation are massively exaggerated - no help arrived until hours later in the form of a Steward who told me he'd "just come for a look at all the fun", whilst smoking his spliff...), to this complete nightmare in getting tickets and now having to leave at "daft'o'clock", we're finished with the whole thing. Been going for over twenty years and we're washing our hands of it all.

Can't describe how fed up we are. Bye, bye Glasto...

king mob
Posted: 28-May-2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote king mob

Forum Steward
Forum Steward

I believe you can get a full refund up til May 31 but that's not the point. It seems silly that GFL & Seetickets couldn't stick times up when people were buying their tickets.

View king mob's Profile Search for other posts by king mob Visit king mob's Homepage Back to Top

king mob
Posted: 28-May-2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote king mob

Forum Steward
Forum Steward

HiFreq wrote:
Well, licensing agreement or not, we're really pi55ed off about this. Of course, we're glad to be going at all; over the moon, in fact, but this idea of leaving at 4:30 a.m. just acts as the final straw.

I agree; for some that time will be workable but as said the times should have been advertised at point of sale. The lack of information coming from GFL and Seetickets in regards to coach tickets is shocking. I know several people cutting their Sunday short as they have to get coaches at 4 in the morning on Monday.

I appreciate totally the position of GFL and more people travelling by coach or liftsharing needs to be encouraged. This does not encourage people to do so.
HiFreq wrote:

I know it must be a ridiculous amount of work to organise and the festival is great, but come on?

It takes a year at least, this one has had two years worth of planning which is why I'm puzzled at such a simple mistake as not issuing times at POS.

HiFreq wrote:
After last time getting flooded in 4 feet of water and losing most of our stuff, due to, in my own opinion, NOT the weather, but inadequate drainage in a field that was surely known to be a flooding hazard; they got it drained afterwards; why not make adequate preparation beforehand?  (and the stories of us lot being "rescued" and given alternative accommodation are massively exaggerated - no help arrived until hours later in the form of a Steward who told me he'd "just come for a look at all the fun", whilst smoking his spliff...), to this complete nightmare in getting tickets and now having to leave at "daft'o'clock", we're finished with the whole thing. Been going for over twenty years and we're washing our hands of it all.

I'm sorry you feel like this and to be blunt I've felt something the same. I'm surprised you never had more help as everyone I know stuck in those floods were helped out by the organisers. However I've complained about some of the stewards (the overwhelming majority of stewards are great) who are clearly just there for the freebie ticket and really don't give much of a toss for anything else.
HiFreq wrote:

Can't describe how fed up we are. Bye, bye Glasto...

Have you thought of writing to Eavis himself?

HiFreq
Posted: 28-May-2007 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote HiFreq

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Thanks for listening to my mini-rant, King.

I don't usually allow myself to get so annoyed, but it just seems that each year there is more and more of a hindrance.

I haven't thought of writing to Michael Eavis, as I'm sure he'll be far too busy to listen to my negative chatter. I don't know if he reads these boards, but he's more than welcome to speak to me, if he does! I have nothing but admiration for what he has achieved, but nothing but contempt for the way things are going. I'm not suggesting that we go back to the place having too many @rseholes, like it did at one point, but there must surely be a better way? I don't know what that would be, if i did I'd be looking for a job with Michael and the gang.

As for the help that many people received; fair enough, but we were in Pennards, right at the bottom and saw none of it, other than the aforementioned "cocky little get" and his mates, who were exceedingly lucky not to get their arses severely kicked. Three of them totally sh*t faced... The Hare Krishna people were very good, though.

I'm, honestly, a very reasonable chap, but it really is getting to the point where it's not worth it any more. I wish i had the answer, but it's heading the wrong way. All we need next is corporate ticket sales and preferential treatment for the wealthy and we're completely scuppered.

Once again, thanks for reading / listening. This is just the views of one person and his mates who subscribed to the Glastonbury Ideal but now feel like they're getting treated like livestock, figuratively speaking.

Looks like it's Amsterdam every year, from now on.

nick heff
Posted: 28-May-2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote nick heff
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

lets all hope it stays dry n sunny, this  is my 1st time to the festi and hope i have a better time then hifreq did....as for the coaches i think thats pretty messed up!!!!!  times should be advertised at point of sale. hope every one still enjoys the festi tho.

View nick heff's Profile Search for other posts by nick heff Back to Top

king mob
Posted: 29-May-2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote king mob

Forum Steward
Forum Steward

HiFreq wrote:

I haven't thought of writing to Michael Eavis, as I'm sure he'll be far too busy to listen to my negative chatter. I don't know if he reads these boards, but he's more than welcome to speak to me, if he does!

He doesn't get the internet but he does read as many of the letters sent to him as he can, so try writing to the farm to make your point clear.

HiFreq wrote:
I have nothing but admiration for what he has achieved, but nothing but contempt for the way things are going. I'm not suggesting that we go back to the place having too many @rseholes, like it did at one point, but there must surely be a better way? I don't know what that would be, if i did I'd be looking for a job with Michael and the gang.

I'm holding out full opinion on this years plans until after the festival. What is depressing is that for every positive step there seems to be as many new negative steps.

HiFreq wrote:

I'm, honestly, a very reasonable chap, but it really is getting to the point where it's not worth it any more. I wish i had the answer, but it's heading the wrong way. All we need next is corporate ticket sales and preferential treatment for the wealthy and we're completely scuppered.

I think anyone who goes to football in the UK recognises whats happening to Glasto and that's a shame if it goes that way.

Polly
Posted: 30-May-2007 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Polly
girl with the flashing crutch
Forum Steward

there is the option of packing up sunday putting all your kit in the nearest lock up to the coach pick up site party till the bus and load up get on and sleep the journy away

there are a lot of arsehole stewards but a lot of great helpfull people, I have been assisted on and off the site every year for 5 years (I am disabled) by asking for help, not by going down the route of caming disabled etc but asking for help and being patient, you have to remember they have to deal with a lot of twats and you don't know who or what they have just had to deal with before you

View Polly's Profile Search for other posts by Polly Back to Top

1 User(s) are browsing this topic, 1 Guest(s) and 0 Member(s)
0 Members:
<< Prev Topic Advice Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version