Welcome Guest (Register -  Login)  Active Topics Active Topics Display List of Forum Members Memberlist Search The Forum Search Help Help
 Navigation
 Skin Chooser

Choose Skin:

There are 3 skins total.
The newest skin is BeOS

Latest Forum Posts

Total Users Online: 127

We have 0 member(s), 127 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Most Online: 617
Occured: Saturday, 6 Apr, 2024

Members Online:

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

You are visitor number 6439092

We have 70762 registered users and we have had 5 member(s) visit us in the last 24 hours and 108 new member(s) signed up in the last month.

The newest registered user is francinega4.

Our users have posted a total of 3890 articles within 785 topics in 13 forums.
Last post by king mob

Advice
 Glastonbury Forum : Advice
Subject Topic: Expectations and Experience Post ReplyPost New Topic
 Expectations and Experience
<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
HiFreq
Posted: 05-April-2007 at 2:10am | IP Logged Quote HiFreq

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Group: Festival Virgin
Just thought it would be interesting if those who are doing their first G shared what they expect and those who have done lots of G's share their experiences, in return.

I think it would be beneficial to new G'ers and interesting for everyone else.

For instance; I remember my first time at Glastonbury right down to the anxious feeling I got when i first arrived, all full of hopes and expectations; would the atmosphere be as good as i heard about, were the rumours about what happens there correct, would it change me? I can answer a resounding "yes" to all three, and to the last question, hopefully for the better - definitley learned to judge less and experience more. It was a unique experience that i will always remember and one that gets better each time.

So, what about you?

Online Status: Offline
View HiFreq's Profile Search for other posts by HiFreq Back to Top

marwoodsbuddy
Posted: 05-April-2007 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote marwoodsbuddy

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Is my first time, Im going on my own too. Im a bit nervy particularly as the only comparable thing Ive been to was ashton court and I really disliked it and felt a bit  "unsafe". The more I think about it the more I worry I'll be on my own wandering about. Then i remember the massive amounts of music, little rare treats and spectacles that Ive been reading about and think it will be alright if im on my own. All in all Im super excited and have no expectations re: the experience and lots of expectations re: the music, so yeah, thats it!

ya know what, sod it, its all about the music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     with that in mind, check out www.myspace.com/flamboyantbella   and www.myspace.com/peggysueandthepirates   oh and while we're at it... www.myspace.com/fionnregan 

THATS what glastonbury will be about. people like that being totally unknown yet highlights of the week. 

Edited by marwoodsbuddy on 06-April-2007 at 3:41pm

View marwoodsbuddy's Profile Search for other posts by marwoodsbuddy Back to Top

littleone
Posted: 05-April-2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote littleone
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Hello, it's my first time too, and i'm travelling down on the coach on my own although not actual camping on my own, I'll be meeting the rest of our party down there.

marwoodsbuddy - i'm sure it will be fine going down on your own - at least you won't have anyone dragging you one way when you want to go the other!

View littleone's Profile Search for other posts by littleone Back to Top

HiFreq
Posted: 05-April-2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote HiFreq

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Marwoodsbuddy; don't worry - it's one big happy thing. People at Glastonbury are a lot less judgmental than normal. The whole point of Glastonbury is that it doesn't matter if you're trendy / gorgeous / life and soul of the party or not - you are accepted, regardless of who or what you are.

You can have a quiet time or a rowdy time, depending on what you want. It's entirely up to you. Incidentally, there's no need to feel unsafe - this is from the official site, referring to 2005;

"This year’s event saw a 14% drop in the number of arrests – from 131 in 2004 to 112.  There was a 19% drop in crime, other than drug offences. Drug related crimes totaled 205 - which is an increase due to Police working more closely with Festival security to stop and search people coming on site.   To put these figures into context, the event was open from Wednesday morning until Monday evening, with 152,566 people on site at the busiest time".

That's not bad at all! If you consider a city with 152,000 inhabitants, how many crimes are committed on a daily basis? Never mind the fact that the site is inhabited from Wednesday to Monday. When we're talking about "drugs related crime" in this context, we aren't talking about people getting robbed or mugged for their pensions, either, (not to make light of that, by the way...), we're talking about people who go to deal getting caught and people who mistakenly think drugs are legal on site and waving spliffs about willy-nilly. A copper caught me with one last year and because i had the good sense to  put it  out of sight and not act like a prat, he gave me a knowing wink and said "fair enough" as he went past.

I've been brought up in cities and consider myself fairly streetwise and able to spot trouble before it happens - last time we were there my "trouble-o-meter" never even twitched.

I'm not saying you should throw all caution to the wind, just about 90% of it.

Littleone is entirely correct - you can come and go precisely as you please and won't be lonely for long. If in doubt - head for the stone circle; guaranteed to result in new friendships.

Edited by HiFreq on 05-April-2007 at 4:30pm

PurpleHaze420
Posted: 06-April-2007 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote PurpleHaze420
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Yeah I totally agree, this will be my 3rd consecutive year and i'm the only person going from my immediate area.. There are some other people going which I might meet up with but i'm really not bothered either way, it's that sort of place.. Whether you go on your own or with people you always manage to meet and talk to a variety of interesting and strange people..

In terms of safety at the festival I can with 100% honesty say that it's the safest and friendliest festival around by miles. I say this having been to many other festivals around the country countless times. I've never once worried about my safety there as 99% of the people there are on the same level and just as friendly as the next guy. Like anywhere you get the 1% of knobheads but you can spot them by a mile.. heh.

Anyway i'm sure your'll have an awesome time, I know I will.. Just waiting to kick back in the Jazz World Field with some Brothers Pear Cidar now, ahh, heavan..

View PurpleHaze420's Profile Search for other posts by PurpleHaze420 Back to Top

LuinThallion
Posted: 08-April-2007 at 1:59am | IP Logged Quote LuinThallion
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Someone wrote:

"The mogwai set was Glasto 1999 and i had a near religious experience during that set. They started with ...fear satan and it got more intense the further in they went."

It was the same for me finished off a perfect weekend.

View LuinThallion's Profile Search for other posts by LuinThallion Back to Top

HiFreq
Posted: 08-April-2007 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote HiFreq

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

I saw mogwai at leeds festival, can't be sure but i think arab strap were there too. Can't even remember the bloody year, but what i can remember is that it was a total kick up the back-end. Outstanding gig - one of the best.

2005 at glasto was great too, but i managed to down far too many pints of cider, with cider brandy in each one, and got severe heatstroke and sunburn. I looked like a bloody crocodile. . Then we got flooded - right at the lowest point of Pennards. Minging. Lots of good spirit though; everyone helping each other out. One girl had lost everything and this young chap gave her a wadge of cash, stating he was "Lord Tufton-Bufton", or something and that he really wouldn't miss it. Outstanding.

I had to laugh at one point, though; we were wrestling with a tent that was full of water and posessions and managed to get it out - luckily the guy got all of his "essentials" out and we let the tent go. Then a scantily clad girl comes pegging towards us, soaked through to the skin, (you get the picture - imagination was not required), clutching nothing more than an air bed and suddenly there's about twelve blokes insisting on helping her carry it to a safe location. Hilarious.

The hare krishna people were absolutely magnificent. the krishna crew were in the thick of things handing out delicious free food and attending to everyone's welfare without a thought of anything other than sorting a problem out.

The experience was great, though, with the benefit of hindsight. Top stuff.

Edited by HiFreq on 08-April-2007 at 9:49pm

Causy
Posted: 08-April-2007 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote Causy
Forum Steward
Forum Steward

Group: Forum Steward
HiFreq wrote:
I saw mogwai at leeds festival, can't be sure but i think arab strap were there too. Can't even remember the bloody year, but what i can remember is that it was a total kick up the back-end. Outstanding gig - one of the best.

If it was the same Leeds Mogwai experience I had, it was the radio 1 tent in 1999. My one and only Leeds trip. I was completely unaware previously of their music, and that set made me a big fan.

We were lucky with that rain, it was like a lake under us, and it eventually started to seep through the groundsheet, as everything has its limits. But the most trauma was caused by a corner of our extra vestibule ground sheet sticking out enough to catch rather a lot of rain, and pool right where my mate's clothes were :(

View Causy's Profile Search for other posts by Causy Back to Top

HiFreq
Posted: 08-April-2007 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote HiFreq

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

BBC Tent sounds about right. Weren't they out of this world? Check out some early Arab Strap, if you haven't heard them.

If it hadn't been for my partner, we'd have been knackered. She put everything into the rucksacks, (she loves nice and tidy...), and put the rucksacks on the airbeds, (an indulgence, I know...), and when we came back to the tent everything was floating. Rucksacks on and off we went until the water drained away. My sunburn had started to look like this; . I was fried. Had more cider...mmm...

People should always take wellies or boots. Even if it's red hot when you set off, you might just need to "don those galoshes" at some point. Thick socks, too.
Thin sock+wellie = .
Thick socks = .
Fashion Shoes = .

Causy
Posted: 08-April-2007 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Causy
Forum Steward
Forum Steward

Group: Forum Steward
Yeah, I've heard a bit of Arab Strap. Been to see them in King Tuts once or twice.
I even met Aiden Moffat once, but confusingly asked if he Malcolm Middleton.... Rather embarrassing!!

And I didn't take Wellies to the last Glasto. I couldn't find them before I left, and I knew I had a pair somewhere. Gregg was sent out to find some, unfortunately he wasn't alone in his mission.
Then some guys came round shouting about, offering wellies for sale. Didn't have my size, but came back in five minutes with the correct ones. Even let me try them on first, I couldn't see the Millets stall doing that?!

I couldn't find them last summer to take to T in the Park. But I have found the original ones, and the Glasto 2005 pair. Now I have two pairs.

View Causy's Profile Search for other posts by Causy Back to Top

1 User(s) are browsing this topic, 1 Guest(s) and 0 Member(s)
0 Members:
<< Prev Topic Advice Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version